This rap shit isn't easy. No one understands that better than Atlanta's Slug Christ right now. His house just got robbed of literally everything that had electricity running through it. We're not sure if his fridge got jacked, but we do know his entire home recording studio is gone. So what did Slugger do when he came home to an empty house? He ran out to the nearest store, grabbed a laptop, and recorded 'Plant Mentality 2' straight into the damn laptop mic.
'Plant Mentality 2' kicks off with Slug Christ preaching his reliance on the start of the title track. "Glorious" features Awful Records de facto leader Father, while another standout "Walked Away (Inspirational Version)" has Slugger touching on what exactly Plant Mentality means to him. The entire project was produced by Slug himself, with exception to "Walked Away (Surf Rock Version)" which was co-produced by Dexter Dukarus and "Couldn't Think Of Anyone" co-produced by Houdinne.
We shot a few emails back and fourth with Slug to talk about the project. You can read that, and stream Plant Mentality 2, below.
– You kick off 'Plant Mentality' by letting everyone know on the title track that you recorded this entire project on a laptop mic. What's the story behind that?
"My house got robbed a little bit ago and they took everything that had electricity running through it even the wifi router lol. so yeah i went out and bought a new computer and recorded it on the laptop mic. It just seemed like the right thing to do."
– It seems like everyone on the internet claims the sad life these days. But your music is generally pretty fucking depressing. I guess getting your house cleaned out contributes to that, but are you depressed on a day-to-day basis, or does it just really come out stronger in your music?
"I dunno man i feel like i stay pretty positive in lieu of recent happenings, maybe its easier to express that side of me through art i dunno. MY house getting robbed doesnt have anything to do with my feelings though."
– In "Walked Away (Inspirational Version)" you touch on the meaning of 'Plant Mentality'. Can you expand on what exactly that means to you?
"Like i guess the creation of plant mentality 2 is a perfect example. kudzu just grows in the conditions it was born in. It doesnt act out or complain or anything it just grows. You can put me anywhere, you can do anything to me, you can take everything away, im still gona ball way crazier than you ever thought one could."
– What inspired the "Surf-Rock" version of "Walked Away"? Is that a style you want to experiment with more?
"Dexter Dukarus made the drum loop in that song and i just kinda freestyled a guitar part over it, then a bass part, then a lead part, then just freestyled vocals over it lol it was cool. The other walked away was me trying to recreate that song from memory while maybe adding some other things. I hadnt heard it in a while and i thought dex had lost it, so i just did my best. ive already experimented with that style a lot in the past, he only reason it was brought up again was because of us hanging out off the shits haha."
– It seems like everyone in Awful Records is always in a different city. Maybe that's just the social media convincing me of that though. Does the whole crew hang out and record a lot still?
"We're def on the move a lot more, but yeah we still hang out a lot, theres a new awful headquarters where we all convene at a lot with a studio and stuff."
– What would you say is the current state of Awful Records? What're you trying to accomplish solo and with the crew next year?
"Current state of awful records is very typical, we're putting out the dopest music ever at an alarming rate. as far as next year, i have no idea i didnt plan anything for this year or last year or any of the years before that so im just gona keep winging it like always. whatever i do itll probly be very cool and make a lot of people mad."